Here at Rojak Daily, we’ve put together a list of pet-friendly parks and pubs for you to visit with little (or big) Fido.
Starting off with the parks: Most parks in Malaysia are not pet friendly. Often, we’d have to resort to walking our pets around the neighbourhood, without properly giving them enough space to run around. Poor doggos. But now it’s time to say goodbye to walking your dog on a leash: we’ve drawn up a list of 6 pet-friendly parks in KL and the Klang Valley for you!
1. Dog Park, Ara DamansaraWhat used to be a football field, this park is fully fenced so that your furkid can run around freely. Another plus point is that there is a lot of space for parking, so you don’t have to put your pet through the agony of only looking at the park from afar, while you circle the place, looking for a parking spot.
Image: Hikers Bay
2, Central Park, Bandar UtamaRight opposite One Utama Shopping Complex, this park is a well-known spot among dog lovers and owners. Especially busy on Sundays, Central Park is a great place for your pets to socialise with its fellow kind. There is also a Canine Sportzclub Obedience Training Program on Sunday mornings to make your cheeky doggo a better doggo.
Image: Pets Pavilion
3. Pets Pavilion, Shah AlamThis fenced park in Setia Eco-Park is a whopping 3.15 acres large, and is literally heaven for your (alive) pets. Pets Pavilion is equipped with a play pond for your puppers to splash around and cool down, an obstacle run to keep Fido fit and healthy, and also a bathing area so that your pet will be fresh and clean before getting in the car. That’s not all the park offers! For us humans, there is a reflexology trail, a relaxing eucalyptus trail and putting green to keep our fitness in check. This park is sure to keep both pet and owner entertained for hours
4. Taman Tasik, CyberjayaThis quiet and serene park is a great place for you and your furry friend to bond and play together. Great for morning walks and evening strolls, this park is the first of its kind in Cyberjaya. Those living here don’t have to drive out to pet-friendly parks anymore – there is one right in the neighbourhood!
5. The Waterfront, Desa Park CityDesa Park City Waterfront is a beautiful location that is often bustling with furry buddies on the weekends. Situated by a lake, this Instagram-worthy place is the perfect place for a jog (and furry photoshoot) with your furkid. Another reason why you should visit Waterfront is because it is set by a variety of retail outlets and restaurants, some of which are pet-friendly!
6. Tropicana Park, TropicanaThis is another fully-fenced park where your doggies can run freely, without their leashes. Tropicana Park is generous in grassy areas, well balanced with jogging pavements, and comes with a super fun, unconventional playground that is sturdy enough for all ages (we, too, are guilty of riding the super bouncy see-saw, and spinning pole). There are also exercise stations and a reflexology path at this simple yet well-equipped park.
*******************Now, onto the less physically demanding and more mentally relaxing: pet-friendly pubs where you and your friends can enjoy a pint, while doggo (or kitty) sits by you. When you’re happy, doggo is happy!
Image: Timeout KL
1. Sid’s PubSid’s Pub is a kid- and pet-friendly neighbourhood pub, founded by Geoffrey Siddle. Besides being pet-friendly (on the outside terrace), they serve classic British food such as Fish and Chips, Ploughman’s Lunch and Sunday Roasts. All food dishes on the menu are reasonably priced at RM40 and below, and Happy Hours are from 11 am straight through to 8 pm daily (and till closing, on Sundays). While you enjoy their reputable Guinness draught, don’t forget to keep your puppers off the table (unless you want to risk having a half-eaten Cottage Pie). Sid’s Pubs are sure to give your family – including your furkid – an enjoyable time!
Sid’s Pub branches can be found in TTDI, Bangsar South, Bukit Tunku and Damansara Heights, and are all pet-friendly. Visit their website for more info.
Image: Juice Online
2. Tom, Dick & Harry’sCalling all pork-lovers: this is where you should be right this moment! With a pork-filled menu, TDH is known for their pork knuckle, pork ribs curry and porky fries, which are *GASP* sticks of fried luncheon meat. If you’re not really into porky stuff, they also serve pastas, pies and burgers. And they have killer Big Breakfasts (which are so indescribable, you have to try for yourselves)! Make sure to keep a watchful eye on your pooch because Fido is sure to want some of that porky goodness! On Friday nights (9:30 pm onwards), TDH Oasis Damansara is home to renowned local band, Hydra and if you’re lucky, you may even catch a surprise act or two!
Tom, Dick and Harry’s branches can be found in TTDI, Oasis Damansara and Pavilion KL. For more info, check out their official Facebook page.
3. The Pound Bar, TTDIThis first-floor bar isn’t shy of showing their love for dogs! The Pound Bar serves (thankfully dog-free) Dogs In A Blanket, a drink called Mexican Chihuahua (a concoction of tequila, grenadine syrup, triple sec and orange juice) and another named Dirty Doberman (dry vermouth, gin and olive juice), and is decorated with doggo portraits on the walls. Another place for pork-lovers, their signature dish here is a juicy pork burger which you will have to keep far, far away from Fido because it smells incredibly enticing. They often have drink discounts, with beer at only RM9 on Mondays to Fridays, till 8 pm. Be reminded that only small- to medium-sized dogs are allowed at this joint.
More info can be found at their official Facebook page here.
Image: The High Life
4. The BeeTechnically more of a restaurant more than a pub, The Bee boasts a plethora of mouth-watering finger foods – our favourites being their Sweet Potato Fries, Beef Bacon Quesadillas and Chili Cheese Fries – to be enjoyed together with delectable main courses and good beer. If you love watching music gigs and live shows, at The Bee, you can enjoy doing so with your pets (outdoor areas only). The alfresco area – cosy and inviting – is the perfect place to enjoy your morning coffee, or night cocktail. Along with pretty brunches, unexpected pastas (such as the Cili Padi Aglio Olio), and yummy sharing plates, The Bee has AH-MAZING Freakshakes (Nutella Brownie Madness, Peanut Caramel and Cookies ‘n’ Cream, to name a few) that come with four generous scoops of ice cream.
The Bee can be found at Publika and Jaya One. Head on over to their website for more info.