Our ‘Malaysia, Truly Asia’ tagline has travelled the world and attracted millions of visitors over the years, so much so that our capital city made it among the ten most visited cities in the world!
According to Euromonitor International’s latest Top 100 City Destinations Ranking 2017 Edition, the vibrant capital of Kuala Lumpur reportedly attracted 12.3 million tourists in 2016.
This achievement placed Kuala Lumpur ahead of many popular global cities around the world, including Rome, Tokyo, Istanbul, Seoul, Shanghai, and more, as reported by Bernama.
Other Malaysian cities that made it into the top 100 rankings were Johor Bahru, claiming the 42nd rank, and Penang in 63rd place.
This year, Kuala Lumpur is reportedly expected to see a strong increase in growth in 2017 with a predicted total of 12.8 million international visitors.
Meanwhile, Hong Kong claimed the number one spot with a total of 26.6 million tourists recorded last year, retaining its title as the world’s most visited city for the eighth consecutive year.
Here is the complete ranking of the top 10 most visited cities in the world:
- Hong Kong: 26.6 million visitors
- Bangkok: 21.2 million visitors
- London: 19.2 million visitors
- Singapore: 16.6 million visitors
- Macau: 15.4 million visitors
- Dubai: 14.9 million visitors
- Paris: 14.4 million visitors
- New York: 12.7 million visitors
- Shenzhen: 12.6 million visitors
- Kuala Lumpur: 12.3 million visitors